Sunday, January 3, 2010

2009: A Year in Review

And what a year it has been. I know for many, 2009 was a tough year. The economy was in a recession, health scares abounded, and futures were up in the air. Though we had our own trials and tribulations, I will always look back on 2009 as a year of abundant blessings. So, just for fun, I've compiled a 'Best of' list for '09. Enjoy!

Best Financial Blessing

Our financial lives definitely turned for the better when Jeff teamed up with his business partner Drew nearly two years ago. This past Spring, Jeff and Drew were presented with a job opportunity that lasted six months and translated to the best year of business Jeff has had since the inception of his original company back in 1996.

Runner Up: Although my business, Cadeline Photography, had shown steady growth since I started the business in July '07, I never expected the onslaught of new clientele that I received late summer, early fall of this past year. I found myself facing weekends of three to four sessions a day.

Best Medical News

In the process of trying to change health insurance, Jeff and I were forced to face one of our silent fears: the question of whether or not Cadie's hydrocephalus could/would return. After receiving a letter from Dr. Benner, Cadie's neurologist, our fears were alleviated with the news that Cadie's hydrocephalus had been "transient" and would not be returning.

Runner Up: At the most recent appointment with Dr. Groves, Maddie was once again given a clean bill of health in both of her eyes. There are no signs of problems as a result of ROP or the laser eye surgery she underwent at three months old.

Best New Activity

Other than school, I wanted the girls to have an outlet for fun and making news friends, so I signed them up for gymnastics at Tulsa World of Gymnastics. Although their program ended up not being what we were looking for, it ultimately led us to The Little Gym. Now, the girls enjoy a fun-filled hour of flipping, jumping, and games every Friday and they love it.

Runner Up: Who can resist jumping on Mommy and Daddy's bed? Although we won't allow them to jump on their beds, our bed is free game, and boy do the girls take advantage of it!

Best Trip/Vacation

Disney World has always held a special place in my heart. I can remember going there twice when I was younger, then Jeff and I spent our honeymoon there. So you can bet I was ready to take the girls as soon as we thought they could handle it. The trip was everything I'd hoped it would be. The girls were in awe of the castles, characters, and rides. They waited patiently in line, never complaining despite long waits, heat, and obnoxious children. Almost a year later, they still talk about that trip. Now, we're planning and hoping for another visit in December '10.

Runner Up: We love our Texas family, so we're happy every chance we get to visit. The girls love their cousins (especially the big girls). We were able to visit a couple of times this year and loved every visit.

Best Book

For anyone who knows me, you know how much I love books. Back in the Spring, I joined a book club, so I've been exposed to some new books that I might never have read. My personal favorite book of the year (I read 35) was "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. It was simply fantastic. For the girls, their favorite book of the year was easily their Bible they received for their 3rd birthday from their BFF, Grace. They take turns reading it and I've often found Cadie holed up in the closet, reading it to herself. Of course, in her version, some of the characters names are "Josepha" and "Damuel".

Runner Up: For me, it's too difficult to choose just one. I read so many fantastic books this year. Some of my favorites were "The Mortal Instruments Trilogy" by Cassandra Clare, the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series by Rick Riordan, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer, "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins which is the follow-up to "Hunger Games", and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. For the girls, Cadie really attached herself to "The Cat in the Hat" by Dr. Seuss and a book called "We're Going on a Bear Hunt". Maddie loves them all, but has a particular fondness for "Where's Waldo".

Best Movie

We're a movie loving household, so this category is tough. For me, as a dedicated Twihard, I must say my favorite movie was "New Moon". For the girls, their favorite new movie would have to be the latest Disney/Pixar movie, ”Up". If you haven't seen it yet, do. It's fantastic. I still love it even though I can't count how many times I've watched it since the girls got it for Christmas a mere two weeks ago.

Runner Up: I can't even remember all the movies I saw this year. A few that come to mind are "The Proposal", "The Blind Side", and "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". For the girls, although they aren't necessarily new movies, I can't count how many times we watched "The Incredibles", "Toy Story 1 & 2", "High School Musical 1-3", and "Finding Nemo".

Best TV Show

Again, we're entertainment people, so there is much TV watched in our humble abode. For me, the best TV show of the year was "Glee" on Fox. I'm not a big fan of Fox, but they got me on this one. It is as if the people who created it sat down and said, "Let's create a TV show that is perfect for Cheri Patton", then they did. For Cadie and Maddie, it's tough to say, but I imagine it would be "Phineas and Ferb" on the Disney Channel. They love that show, and Jeff and I love it, too!

Runner Up: I think it was a great year for veteran shows like "Monk", "Psych", and "In Plain Sight" on the USA network; "The Office" on NBC, "Grey's Anatomy" and "Lost" on ABC; and "Big Bang Theory", "How I Met Your Mother", and "The Mentalist" on CBS. All personal favorites in our household. On Cadie and Maddie's watchlist you'll find "Dora the Explorer", "Imagination Movers", "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse", "Little Einsteins", and still the occasional "Doodlebops".

Best Social Event

We're also a family that loves to party. We had so many fun events this year, but the event that stands out the most was the 4th of July shindig. Complete with fireworks, ribs, and a robust round of badminton, I remember everyone having so much fun.

Runner Up: Amidst all of the fun times, two other events come to the forefront: the Halloween Party and our own version of the March of Dimes Gourmet Gala. For each there was good food, fun attire, and best of all, good company.

Now, who knows what 2010 has in store. I know, though, that our family is happy, healthy, and strong. I hope many things for the coming year. I hope that the girls continue to be healthy, growing more and more every day (but not TOO fast). I hope that Jeff's business continues to run like a well-oiled machine, allowing us the opportunity to purchase the acreage we dream of. I hope for good health and prosperity for our family and dear friends. And, I hope we continue to be surrounded by those who love, support, and honor us as we do them. Here's to the New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!