Thursday, January 28, 2010

Holy Matrimony

For several weeks now, Maddie has been talking about her "wedding". Who knows how it began? It doesn't take much for Maddie to catch on. There are even details; and specific ones at that. They change, occasionally, but for the most part they're pretty consistent.

First and foremost, Maddie will be having a "Princess" themed wedding. She's going to wear a beautiful gown. Sometimes it's a pink one she has that Nana got last year for Easter that didn't fit until this past Fall (the same one that Cadie has, but hers has an enormous chocolate stain on the rear from sitting in chocolate milk). Sometimes it's a new one I'm sure she has envisioned in her mind (and if her taste is anything like her mommy's, it will cost a fortune).

What does change is the "whom"; this is where it gets dicey. Some days she announces she is going to marry her Uncle Julius. That was the answer for many weeks. Then, she switched it up and answered that she would be marrying her Aunt Kimberly (Julius' wife). Lately, the popular answer has been that she will be marrying me. She's even got a deadline. For the longest time, she claimed that she would be getting married on her birthday, April 4th. I think she might be getting cold feet, though, because the last time she talked about it, the date had been pushed back to Christmas.

These details are all fine and good, and they make me laugh, but what makes my heart melt every time is when she says this: "Mommy, I really want all, with all of my heart, for my whole family and all of my friends, with all of my very heart...I really want them to be at my wedding because I love them with my whole heart, so very much."

Now, to that I say, "I do, too."

No comments: