Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cats & Dogs

When the girls got home from school today, they immediately transformed into their "kitten" selves, a role play game they've been playing for a couple of weeks now. Usually, one of them plays the mommy cat and the other is the baby. Today, I was wrangled into the game in the role of "mommy". I guess I have a little experience...

This evening, the game resumed with a new character. Jeff took on the role of "Daddy dog". Maddie's not a big fan of real animals she tells me. She likes her stuffed ones just fine, especially her cat Nana bought her at Disney World. She's scared of real animals, though, namely dogs; so the minute Jeff started barking, she was frantically dragging me by the hair (seriously, she was pulling on my hair like she would pull on a shirt), to help me escape from the dog. We sought refuge in Cadie's closet, clearly the safest place in the house to hide from dogs. I concealed myself behind one of the girls fluffy dresses, while Cadie found safety behind Maddie's Sleeping Beauty gown. Maddie's hiding place of choice? Behind their princess suitcase. I assured them that we would be safe from the dog, and even if he did make it into the closet, he wouldn't be able to see us in our clever hidey holes.

The next few minutes were mass chaos. It started with Jeff poking his hand under the door and the girls screaming shrilly. Then, the door flung open and again more screaming (and barking) ensued. After the door slammed shut, we made an escape plan. Maddie clung to my back and I scooped Cadie up in my arms. I opened the door, then barreled out, my little kittens in tow. We made it to the safety of the bed, but Daddy dog wasn't far behind. It all ended with each one of us erupting into laughter and giggling as the dog ate Cadie, then finished Maddie off for dessert.

Man, that was fun!

No comments: