Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why Because?

I've always appreciated a healthy curiosity and imagination. As a teacher, I encouraged my students to have opinions and ask questions. As a parent, I've always tried to answer the girls' inquiries with as realistic an explanation as possible. I've even been complimented for this by complete strangers. Now, I'm being punished.

Cadie's always been our sponge. Recently, it looks as though she is seeking an understanding of all those things she's quietly observed. Her choice phrase these days? "Why because?"

For example:

Cadie: "Mommy, why is that girl wearing those things in her nose?" As she points to a woman who has a nasal cannula for supplemental oxygen.

Me: Trying as discreetly as possible to answer her question. "Because sometimes people need help breathing. Those are in her nose to help her breathe. You and sister had those when you were in the hospital."

Cadie: "Why because?"

Me: "Because you were born early and you were sick, so you needed help breathing."

Cadie: "Oh yeah."

This exchange? Not so bad. I'm happy to explain those unknowns that they are faced with every day, especially when they deal with people being a little different. We came across a kiddo in the mall with a disability that had him confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak or move. Cadie asked why he was in a wheelchair and I proceeded to explain. I don't want them to be afraid of people who are different, but I also want them to know enough that it keeps them from pointing and/or staring.

Not all exchanges are this useful, though. Example:

Cadie: "Mommy, why is that giraffe eating?"

Me: "I imagine it's his lunch time and he's hungry."

Cadie: "Why because?"

Me: "Well, animals get hungry just like we do, so they eat."

Cadie: "Why because?"

Me: (Growing a teensy bit impatient) "Because animals and people both need to eat so they have energy to play."

Cadie: "But, why because?"

Me: "Because that's just the way it is, Cadie."

Sometimes that's just what it comes down to.  I even pull out the "Because that's the way God made things" explanation every once in a while.  It usually suffices as well. I knew I'd been using the old tried and true, "Because that's the way it is" explanation too many times, though, when the other day Cadie asked me a question, to which I began to explain. A couple of explanations into it, she looked at me and said, "Is it because that's just the way it is, Mommy?" I laughed and said, "That's right!"

No comments: