Thursday, April 20, 2006

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

The girls looked great today. Cadie actually looks like she has gained some weight, not a lot, but a little goes a long way with them. She is eating 6 1/2 ml's of milk every three hours now, which is quite a bit more than the 2 ml's she was getting. Hopefully, she will continue to tolerate the milk so she can start gaining some serious weight. Maddie continues to get milk every three hours also, but she only receives 1 ml because she threw up a little last night. Any time they show even the slightest aversion to a feeding, they ease off a little to ensure there isn't a problem. Sometimes they take two steps forward, then one step back. It's a slow means of progression, but it's progression nonetheless. Cadie was resting contently, but Maddie was squirming all over the place. This is just what she does. The nurse informed us that Maddie had actually pulled out her ventilator tube this morning, so they were re-taping it during our visit. She was agitated and stressed, and it was easy to see that she was in pain. It broke my heart to watch her and not be able to do anything, but I knew it was better for me to stay and calm her with my touch, then leave her to the anxiety of a medical touch. I rested my hand on her legs to reassure her, and it seemed to help. At one point, she got a hold of my finger and squeezed it tight. Once the nurse was done, Madeline calmed down and went back to resting. She just doesn't like to be fussed with. Something tells me she is going to be a handful when she gets home.

No comments: