Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Interview With A Three-Year-Old

Well, actually two three-year-old's. A couple weeks back, the girls and I were lying on the bed, talking and giggling about all kinds of things, when I decided to try and "interview" them. I'd tried this several months back, just to be able to have a record of who they were at that age by the way they answered the questions. They must have been too young, though, because our interview sessions was not very successful. This time around was much better; a few of the answers even made me laugh out loud.

Question #1: What is your favorite food?

Maddie: Hmmm...macaroni.

Cadie: Ooh! Macaroni, too!

Question #2: What is something you don't like to eat?

C: No chicken! (An answer that makes no sense because the kid loves chicken. Must take after her Uncle Keke.)

M: I don't like to eat raw eggs! They're yuck! (WHAT? At least we've taught her something...)

Question #3: What is your favorite color?

M: Red. 'Cause it's my favorite color.

C: Green, purple, and red. (When I prompt her for a reason why, I get a sassy response.) Because!

Question #4: What is your favorite movie?

M: Jumanji because I love it my WHOLE life!

C: Troy & Gabriela (High School Musical) because Lolo got them for us. (No, she didn't!)

Questions #5: What is your favorite game?

M: The play mat. (I think she's referring to the Yo Gabba Gabba dance mat they used to have until the broke it.) Because it's so cool. There's lots of words in the name "cool"! (They're starting to get squirrely...)

C: The balls and the sheep game. (I ask her if she's talking about the Hungry Hippos game because that's the only thing I can think she might be talking about.) Yeah! The Hungry Hippo game!

Question #6: Where is your favorite place to go?

M: The tea party! Because it has so much decorations at the party and it's my most wonderful, fun place! (The girl loves her adjectives and boy does she get excited.)

C: At Oklahoma. Why? Because. (As she rolls her eyes. I'm boring her...)

Question #7: Where is some place you don't like to go?

M: (At this point, they're flopping all over the bed speaking gibberish and being very silly. I try to bring them back in.)

C: (She's ignoring me.)

Question #8: What is your favorite song?

C: (Now I've got her attention. Cadie LOVES music.) Walking on Sunshine! (She loves the mash-up version of "Halo" and "Walking on Sunshine" from Glee.)

M: Mamma Mia because that's my favorite song. (It's true. I can just see her up on the hearth, pointing her finger out and singing, "I was cheated by you and I think you know when!"

Question #9: What is your favorite toy?

M: The big school bus. Huh? The one that's usually big. The one that isn't a play toy that moves outside. (I think she's talking about a regular school bus. She's dying to be a big girl and ride one.)

C: Plane. How come? BECAUSE. (Okay, now she's getting irritated with me.)

Question #10: What is your favorite thing to wear?

C: My Snow White dress! (Okay, maybe she's interested again...)

M: Dress up! Big girl dresses.

Question #11: Who is your best friend?

M: Ivy and Claire and Cadie. Because they're my friends. And Emmy is my favorite friend, too. And every friend I love. (She's a little social.)

C: Uncle Julius is my best friend because.

M: Actually Uncle Julius is MY best friend.

Question #12: What is your favorite TV show?

M: "Chuggington" and "Dora". Because they're my favorite videos to watch. My favorite.

C: "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and "Diego". Oh, and "Spongebob" too. And "Hannah Montana". (Yes, my children already know of Hannah Montana. Thanks, Daddy.)

Question #13: What is something that makes you angry?

M: Throwing up. It makes me angry. (Bless her heart, Maddie has thrown up a lot. She's never complained, though.)

C: My belly. (?)

Question #14: What is something that makes you happy?

M: Dora makes me laugh and smile.

C: Uncle Julius because I love him. (Aww...)

Question #15: What's your favorite thing to do outside?

C: Play with my kite and swim it around. (Cadie is a hardcore outdoor girl. She'd spend the entire day, rain, shine, or snow outside if I'd let her.)

M: Play in the snow, too. (Yeah, right. Maddie isn't a fan of being cold.) And fly my kite in the snow. And play. And, that's it.

Question #16: What is your favorite book?

M: The one that scare me. (When I ask for clarification, we agree she's talking about The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.)

C: D, D, D, Dora!

Question #17: What is something that makes you scared?

M: Doggies. Because they love me. (A little contradictory. Maddie is actually terrified of about any animal, but especially dogs. I'm not sure why. We used to have two dogs and she did just fine with them. She always clarifies that she's only afraid of real animals, though.)

C: Monsters. Then I gotta run out of my bed and get in your bed!

Question #18: What is your favorite thing to do at school?

M: Play with my friends and have fun with my friends.

C: Play with the toys. Learn. (Yes!)

Question #19: What is your favorite thing to drink?

M: Tea and water.

C: Water and root beer.

Question #20: What is your most favorite thing in the whole world?

M: Disney World! And I can't wait until we go again! (We're trying to plan a trip for December. Looks like we better make it happen.)

C: Princess Snow White.

Their patience (and interest) definitely ran thin toward the end of our little interview. It was fun, though, listening to their answers and watching them act like such little adults. They're growing up entirely too fast. This time next year I plan to ask them the same questions. Something tells me I won't get the same answers.

No comments: