Friday, March 5, 2010

Just the Four of Us

After the girls were born, Jeff and I had every intention of having more kids. Once they were home, though, and the shock of everything we'd just gone through had worn off and reality had set in, we both started to wonder if more children would be asking for too much. We'd just escaped a life-changing potential disaster. We were lucky and blessed to not only bring both girls home, but to bring them home healthy and without any permanent damage.

After that realization was fully absorbed, I waivered back and forth between contentment and still wanting more. Jeff, though, seemed to have made up his mind. Last fall, I finally reached a point of agreement. We're so content, our little family of four. The girls will always have one another, so they won't be without a playmate. We have years of doubling everything ahead of us including school, cars, college, and weddings. We'll be able to offer them so much more, just the two of them. A nicer home, more family trips, a better education. We'd come to a place where we felt the same. So, last Thursday, we took a big step toward ensuring our family wouldn't grow any bigger. There's no need to go into detail, but just to say we'll forever be a family of four. I worried that maybe I would regret our decision once it was too late, but I don't. We already have two amazing little girls; who could really ask for more?

1 comment:

KAREN said...

I'm exactly like you, except I haven't reached a decision yet. I'm also wavering back and forth between contentment and still wanting more. I'm very happy with just the four of us now, too. But I've always wanted more than two kids...I keep telling my husband that I wanted at least one more (trying to keep my door open), even though I think I'll be just as happy without more. I hope I'll come to an agreement with myself someday because my husband is happy with 'just the four of us'