Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Hair Girls

Yesterday was quite the day.

The girls spent the better part of the morning playing "beauty shop". At one point, Maddie even announced that they would now be known as "the hair girls". They ran around the house with my eyelash curler, pretending to cut one another's hair and giggling as they huddled up in the corner of our bathroom, grooming one another.

Later, that afternoon, as I cleaned up in the kitchen, I could hear the girls in our bedroom chattering and playing. At one point, Maddie announced, "Mommy, we're cutting our hair!" Of course, I immediately assumed they had once again taken up with my eyelash curler. A little voice in my head questioned that assumption, though, so I headed back to our room, just to be sure. This is what I found:



The carnage was unbearable. There, on the floor, laid the remains of Maddie's beautiful blond curls and Cadie's pretty brown locks. They froze at my gasp, scissors still in hand. They were caught in the act, although it was immediately obvious they had no idea they were doing something wrong. I truly believe they thought they were pretending, though the snippets of hair should have been a good clue to them that they weren't. I couldn't do anything but laugh. There was no undoing what they'd done, and there was no sense in punishing them because the tears and uncontrollable sobs that followed after I explained to and showed them what they had done to their hair were punishment enough. They each spent the rest of the day randomly stating, "I'm not going to play with scissors anymore because I'll get in trouble."

When Jeff got home, he didn't immediately notice their hair, but the pile of their locks on our bedroom floor must have clued him into the fact that something had gone down. His response? Uproarious laughter. Maddie later explained to him that she now had hair just like his.


Cadence


Madeline (clearly the worse of the two)

After the initial shock, I was able to survey the damage and realized it wasn't all that bad. Because they were cutting one another's hair and not their own, they'd limited the carnage to the backs of their heads, not the front or tops. Bangs and roots were left intact, thank goodness. Although I've been trimming the girls' hair since they were born, there was no way I was going to even attempt to salvage what was left, so first thing this morning, I made an appointment for them with my hairstylist, explaining that I wasn't expecting a miracle, just improvement as much as possible.

So, this afternoon, we headed out to Owasso on a recovery mission. The girls were a little hesitant after yesterday's debacle, but luckily, they have gone with me to get my haircut for months now, so it wasn't completely foreign to them. Laura was able to do more than just salvage what was left. By some miracle, she was able to make both of them look pretty darn cute, a feat especially impressive with Maddie's hair as she definitely suffered the worse of the two.











And, proving that I'm just about the most awesome mom ever, because the girls did so well getting their hair "fixed", I even took them for an ice cream afterwards!



What do you think of the new do's?

1 comment:

Annie said...

I love it!!! My niece did the same thing only cut hers to the SCALP!!! She looked like a boy for months! The girls are so cute!