Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bookworms

For those of you who know me well, you know my love for literature. I love it all; young adult, children's, classics, fantasy. So, my literary heart just swells with pride when I see the girls cuddle up with a book, reading in their own little ways, seeming to love something just as much as I do. And, just like me, the girls don't seem to discriminate. Their tastes vary, but they definitely have their favorites:

Where's Waldo? – We spent a good three weeks "reading" this book every night (and sometimes earlier during that same day). We've gotten to the point where the girls don't even have to think about where Waldo is hiding. They simply take turns, "Cadie's turn" then "Maddie's turn", pointing straight to Waldo without a second's hesitation. What's neat about this book, though, is that it's one of the first printings circa 1989, a copy that I grew up with.

The Napping House – We went through a phase of reading this book every night before bed. The girls grew so accustomed to reading it, they began reciting the pages while I read, occasionally helping me with the self-imposed sound effects.

The Goodnight Train – Another book that rotates through our bedtime routine. This one always took longer than it should have because the girls insisted on pointing out various pictures, including the mermaid perched on a rock, applying her night cream. This book will always be special to me because it combines Cadie's love for trains and the moon.

Olivia & Madeline – Ages ago, the girls' godparents, Mollie and Scuba, bought a book for the girls in which the title included their name. In Cadence's case, there aren't many books with "Cadence" in the title, so her middle name sufficed. These books are fun and entertaining, with great artwork and easy to follow stories. Now, after reading through them several times, the girls sit down and "read" them by themselves, often relating exact lines and parts of the stories.

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly – We actually have two variations of this book. I'm quite fond of the second one because it includes the line, "popped open her throat and swallowed a goat!" The girls and I have a great time "reading" this one, using silly voices and embracing our lower registers.

I Love You, Stinky Face – Quite possibly my favorite one out of the bunch, I love this book because it essentially tells of a mother's unconditional love for her child.

"But Mama, but Mama, what if I were a super smelly skunk, and I smelled so bad that my name was Stinky Face?"
"Then I'd plunk you in a bubble bath! But if you still smelled stinky, I wouldn't mind. I'd whisper in your ear, 'I love you, Stinky Face.'"
Candle's Bible for Toddlers & The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers – The girls tote these books around just about everywhere. As part of our bedtime routine, we read a bible story or two, then the day's devotional. Now, as a rule, we have to allow for at least five minutes or so for the girls to "read" from both books. I smile every time I watch Cadie, her nose in the Bible book, "reading" about Damuel (Samuel) and Noah. And Maddie is always very serious about making sure she reads from the correct page of the daily devotional. I love that the girls don't feel threatened by the word of God, but rather they embrace it. What makes these books even better? They were a gift for their 3rd birthdays from their good friend, Grace.

I know we have years and years of good books ahead of us. I couldn't have been more proud the other day, when standing in the middle of one of the toy aisles at Target, Madeline said, "Mom, why don't we go look at the books for our prize instead? I think that would be better." Wise, choice, Madeline. Wise choice.

No comments: