Friday, April 24, 2009

Three Year Check-up

The girls had their three year check-up today. It was so nice, taking them in for their appointment, without the anxiety of impending shots or fear. They were actually excited about it, the little social butterflies that they are.

We played in the exam room for what felt like hours – Maddie slid behind my back while standing on the chair and played with my hair, then Cadie took her turn, and tortured me while she “fixed” my hair.

Dr. Mayberry came in and made the comment that I’ve been thinking for weeks now: “Are they really three?” She continued on with the explanation that she thought surely the information was wrong. I’ve said it over and over, but it seems like just yesterday we had their 2nd birthday party. I’m getting old.

Cadie and Maddie were very cooperative when it came to the measurements. It’s amazing how much can change in just six months. This time October, they both were bawling as they laid on the exam table. This year, they were thrilled to see the squiggly lines on the paper indicating just how tall they’ve gotten. I love it.

Dr. Mayberry was very pleased to see that the girls are continuing on a steady growth curve; they’re even on the charts for both height and weight. Cadie is 38 inches tall and weighs 26 lbs. 7 oz. Maddie is 37 inches tall and weighs 26 lbs. 8 oz. Cadie has been about an inch taller for ages now, and Maddie always weighs just a tad more. So that puts Cadie in the 75th percentile for height, 10th percentile for weight, and Maddie in the 65th percentile for height and 10th percentile for weight. They’re obviously still small for their age, but as long as they continue to follow a steady growth pattern Dr. Mayberry is happy and so am I.

Before we left, the girls were even brave enough to perform a few tricks. Maddie proudly said her Pledge of Allegiance. That’s right…I said PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE. Both girls know it now. They can even wrap their little mouths around the word “indivisible”. I’m so proud! Then, Cadie followed up with a beautiful rendition of the Alphabet Song. Maddie’s taken to singing it with an impressive (a word I’m sure only a mother would use) falsetto, so it was a good thing Cadie performed a solo. And the grand finale? Maddie performed what she calls her “best trick” – a trick she does with her tummy that I’m not sure can be described with words. I need to get it on video…

The best news of the whole visit? The girls don’t have to go back until they’re 4. I imagine that’s probably typical for most kids, but that’s a pretty big deal for Cadie and Maddie. They’ve had routine check-ups at least every six months since they were born to monitor their development and growth. We must be doing something right!

No comments: