Friday, February 5, 2010

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures

You'll soon figure out from future book reviews that I have a thing for fantasy. Not the stuff that involves aliens and other such nonsense. I love just about anything that includes magic or a touch of non-reality. Nothing too dark, though. I like my fantasy just fantastical enough to help me escape from reality.

My most recent foray into the world of the supernatural is Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I'm not sure how I feel about two authors. I've experienced both ends of the spectrum, good (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society) and bad (Witch and Wizard). In this case, it wasn't noticeable and wasn't a problem. Here's a review/synopsis from Amazon.com, where I get most of my books.

"Ethan Wate is struggling to hide his apathy for his high school "in" crowd in small town Gatlin, South Carolina, until he meets the determinedly "out" Lena Duchannes, the girl of his dreams (literally--she has been in his nightmares for months). What follows is a smart, modern fantasy--a tale of star-crossed lovers and a dark, dangerous secret. Beautiful Creatures is a delicious southern Gothic that charms you from the first page, drawing you into a dark world of magic and mystery until you emerge gasping and blinking, wondering what happened to the last few hours (and how many more you're willing to give up). To tell too much of the plot would spoil the thrill of discovery, and believe me, you will want to uncover the secrets of this richly imagined dark fantasy on your own." --Daphne Durham

In all fairness, I don't have a lot of time to sit down and lose myself in a novel, so this one took me a little longer to get into. I never lost interest, though, and about halfway through I was hooked. What is Lena's secret and why is she so different? Who is Lena's uncle and why is he known as the town's very own Boo Radley? How does Ethan fit into the strange happenings that are going on around him? The ending made it very obvious that there will be a follow-up book, and I'm happy to say I'll be reading it.

Book Club Rating: N/A

Cheri's Rating: ****1/2 (4.5 out of 5)

No comments: