Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Finding a Balance

After Jeff was home from the Tenkiller job, I just knew everything would slow down and return back to normal. I didn't think about all of the stress, tiredness, and overall feeling of burnout that had built up over the previous six months. Nor did I consider the almost smothering explosion of my "side" business, bringing with it hours and hours of necessary editing time. Add to that the various commitments I willingly committed to (most because I wanted to) and the responsibilities that come along with said commitments. All together, it became too much. No longer was I able to be the wife and mother I want to be, that I am devoted to being. No matter what all the extra stuff means to me -- and believe me, some of it is very important to me – my first priority and responsibility will always be mother and wife. I had to make a choice, to save myself from drowning, so I took a step back and tried to get some balance back in my life.

I could immediately tell a difference in the girls. It's amazing how much kids soak up from their atmosphere. Once I was more relaxed and less stressed, so were they. Finally, I was able to get down and play with them, read to them, and laugh with them like I've always done. I missed that so much.

Now, I've learned my lesson. I can't continue to be the "yes" girl that I so often am; I hate to say "no", but not at the expense of my sanity and that of my family. I've limited my photography to certain parts of the week and put a self-imposed cap on the number of sessions per month. It seems ungrateful to complain; this business has become more successful than I ever could have imagined and I've made so many new friends in the process. I've cut back on the extracurricular events I've committed to, even though I love to have my hands in just about anything I can. These past few days I've literally felt a load slowly lift off of my shoulders (and neck!) What is it about us moms (and dads) that makes us feel like we should (and can) do everything? Even when it's at the expense of what and who matters most. Well, I say no more! I'm tired of spreading myself too thin. From now on, it's all about my family.

No comments: