Tuesday, July 14, 2009

HSM Anonymous

You all may have heard of a little Disney movie franchise called, "High School Musical". Well, the girls have now, too. I've always been a sucker for movies like that, so when the third installment came out, I added it to my Netflix thinking it would be a harmless one to watch with the girls. What I didn't realize was that three year old girls are, apparently, not immune to the HSM addiction. Now, I've become an enabler to a habit they just can't seem to kick. They love that stuff!

Initially, I recorded the first two when they aired on the Disney channel, but I got tired of having to fast forward through commercials. Plus, the last five minutes of the second movie were cut off in the recording, so every time we watched it, I was met with tear-filled eyes and cries of, "Why did you turn it off, Mommy?" Finally, I broke down and bought the three pack of all three movies through Amazon. And, boy, have I gotten my money's worth.

At first, I was horrified that my three-year-old's had been tainted by the teeny bopper phenomenon. Then, I realized they're drawn to the catchy tunes, the energetic dancing, and the overall good feel of the movies, not the dreaminess of Troy. In fact, their just now getting to where they remember character names, and we're at least 20 viewings into this! They're doing a pretty good job at memorizing songs, though. They love to run around the living room singing, "What Time is It?", "High School Musical", and they're favorite, "Fabulous".

I know a lot of parents cringe at the thought of listening to any of the movies even one more time, but I can't help myself; I love it. And I don't think the girls are going to grow tired of it any time soon. Just this evening, Cadie confessed to me, "I love that Troy boy". Then again, she loves nearly everyone.


No comments: